QuickBooks error code 6189 is a technical issue in the program, which occurs when a user tries to access the QuickBooks company file. In fact, all the error codes that belong to the 6000 error series depict the same problem. When the error occurs, you may not be able to access or modify your QuickBooks company file. The error can take place if the company file you are trying to open is damaged. There are several other reasons that can crop up when opening the main data file in multi-user mode. Here is a brief to QuickBooks error 6189 and some handy solutions that can resolve it.
What Does QuickBooks Error 6189 Mean?
QuickBooks error code 6189 can appear on your screen when you try to open a QuickBooks company file (.QBW) in multi-user mode. The error message suggests that the error in opening the company file occurs when it is opened by another user. In this condition, you need to ask the user to switch to the multi-user mode so that both users can access the company file without any difficulty. However, there can be several other possible factors that can lead to QuickBooks error 6189. Before resolving the error, you should have a brief to QuickBooks error 6189 possible causes.
What Promotes Error 6189 In QuickBooks Desktop?
Error 6189 may come up due to the below-given reasons:
- When the company file you are trying to open is already in use.
- Corrupt download or incomplete installation of the QuickBooks application.
- When you don’t have sufficient permissions to read or write.
- Partial or damaged installation of the QuickBooks software causing incorrect Windows registry entries.
- Corruption in QuickBooks program files due to a virus or malware attack in the Windows framework.
- Corrupted Windows registry due to a recent change in the QuickBooks program.
- Difference in QuickBooks company (.QBW) file and Transaction Log (.TLG) file.
- When users sign into the company file in Single User Mode.
- If you are using an old or pirated copy of Windows, QuickBooks error message 6189 can appear on your screen.
- Accidental deletion of important drives, essential in running the QuickBooks program smoothly.
Read also – QuickBooks Unrecoverable Error
Resolving an error becomes easier when you know the possible cause. However, QuickBooks error 6189 can be promoted due to several reasons, so you will need to perform different solutions to conquer the error code.
Solution 1: Repair Data Damage Using QuickBooks File Doctor
QuickBooks File Doctor is a tool of high utility in the application that can resolve the common issues related to the QuickBooks company file. Earlier, it was available as an independent tool in the application. However, you can now access it from within the QuickBooks Tool Hub. To run the QBFD:
- Leave QuickBooks and download the QuickBooks Tool Hub file.
- Save the downloaded file to an easily accessible location.
- Open the downloaded file and install the tool by following the on-screen prompts carefully.
- Once installed, open QuickBooks Tool Hub and choose Program Problems.
- After that, choose QuickBooks Fix my Program.
- Now launch QuickBooks and open the QuickBooks company file.
If you are still unable to open your data file due to QuickBooks company file error 6189, try the next solutions.
Solution 2: Reset Your System
Sometimes, a simple system restart can be the answer to a complicated technical error. To reset your system:
- Restart the server computer that has QuickBooks software installed on it, and it should host the QuickBooks company file.
- Next, restart each workstation that is working in a multi-user mode.
- Launch the QuickBooks application on each workstation.
- Check if the QuickBooks error code 6189 is fixed or not. If the error continues to trouble, try the next method.
Solution 3: Update Your QuickBooks Program
Using an outdated version of the QuickBooks application can bring forth several issues when using the program; especially, in multi-user mode. Update QuickBooks to the latest release available and try to access your QuickBooks company file again. In case you are having trouble opening your company records, move to the next solutions.
Solution 4: Rename .ND and .TLG Files
Network Data (.nd) file and Transaction Log (.tlg) files are the configuration files in the QuickBooks application that are essential to access a company file over the network. If these files get damaged or corrupt, you may not be able to access them. Renaming these files can resolve error 6189. To rename:
- Open the folder containing the QuickBooks company file and try to locate the files having extensions .ND and .TLG.
- Right-click each file and select Rename from the list of the available options.
- Now add .OLD at the end of the file names and try to sign in to the company file once again.
The solutions discussed in this post are some of the best ways to get rid of the error code 6189. However, they are not the sure-shot escape from the error. This post is an attempt to give you a brief to QuickBooks error 6189 s that you can understand it better and resolve it using the described steps. However, for a guaranteed and stress-free resolution of the error, you can dial our QuickBooks helpline number.