The user might encounter QuickBooks Error 6138, 105 while opening their Company Data File. The error is part of 6000 series of errors in QuickBooks, and it usually appears due to problems in the hosting settings or server-related issues. However, there are multiple other reasons behind this error, which we have discussed in this article. Keep reading to learn more.
Want expert help in rectifying QuickBooks Error Code 6138? Ring us at+1-(855)-701-2729 and consult with a professional to fix your issue immediately.
What are the Factors that lead to QuickBooks Error 6138, 105?
We know how irritating it is when a user comes across QuickBooks Error 6138, 105 while accessing their Company File. Thus, to fix the problem, it is important to know the root cause that evokes the error.
- You are not accessing the QuickBooks Software with admin permission.
- Your Company File is not saved on the Server System, but the Workstation is hosting it.
- You are providing an unstable or slow internet connection to the QuickBooks software.
- .ND and the .TLF files are corrupted.
- You are using an updated version of QuickBooks software.
- Presence of malware or virus in the system.
Also Read – How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 1310
How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 6138, 105?
Here, we have mentioned some tried and tested solutions that can help you in handling Error 6138, 105 in QuickBooks.
Note: Make sure to follow the procedure in the same order as written below.
First Troubleshoot: Modify Settings to Ensure only Server is Hosting Company File
One of the most common causes of QuickBooks Error 6138, 105 is a system that is not the server computer, is hosting the Company File. However, only the server has permission to host the Company File. Thus to ensure this follow the instructions below.
What do you need to do on the Server System?
- Initially, launch QuickBooks on your Host System.
- Thereafter, tap on the File tab, and navigate to the Utility option.
- In case you find Host Multi-User Access in the list of options, select it.
- Otherwise, if you see Stop Hosting Multi-User Access, then simply skip it.
What do you need to do on the Workstation?
- Open QuickBooks Desktop and then hit on the file tab.
- Now, come down to the Utilities and look for different options.
- Suppose the Host Multi-User Access tab is visible, avoid clicking it.
- Now, navigate to the Workstation and check the menu to choose Stop Hosting Multi-User Access tab.
Second Troubleshoot: Modify the name of .ND and .TLG Files
.ND and .TLG files are very important to run the QuickBooks company files on the Network and in multi-user mode. However, if these files are corrupted, it can cause error 6138, 105 in QuickBooks. Thus, modify the name of the files to rectify this error.
- Initially, you have to open the QuickBooks Company File location.
- Default Location: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company File
- Here you have to search for the files that have .ND and .TLG extensions in their name.
- Now, right-click on those files
- Tap on Rename, and enter. OLD at the end of the file name.
- Lastly, Click on Yest to Confirm the changes.
Third Troubleshoot: Run QuickBooks File Doctor
If you know the error is due to a corrupted data file, then utilizing the File Doctor is the best option.
- Open any Browser, and go to Intuit’s official website.
- Here, you have to look for the newest version of QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Once you find it, Download its file, and save it at an easily accessible location.
- Now, to start the installation, double-click on that file, then agree to its Terms & Policies.
- Once the tool is downloaded, open it and select the Company Files issues tab.
- Moving ahead, hit on the Run QuickBooks File Doctor button and tap on Browse and Search Button.
- Thereon, to scan your file, hit on the Check your File tab and select the Continue button.
- Now, you might have to include the Administrative Credential to authorize your actions.
- After that, select the Next button and wait for a few moments so that the scan gets over.
Note: The total time taken to complete the overall scan varies according to the size of your file.
- Now open QuickBooks Desktop again, and find out if the problem is resolved.
Fourth Troubleshoot: Update QuickBooks to its Latest Version
In case none of the above methods work in your favor, then simply update your QuickBooks Desktop, and fix Error 6138,105.
- Firstly, right-click on the QuickBooks icon, and choose to run as Administrator.
- After that, click on the Help button.
- Now, look for the Update QuickBooks Desktop option, and hit the Update Now button.
- Moving ahead, checkmark the Reset Update block, and tap on Get Updates.
- Once the Update is complete, relaunch QuickBooks and try to access the Company File.
This is all about QuickBooks Error Code 6138,105; we hope the methods listed above will help you resolve this error instantly. However, if you need any additional help, you have the option to reach out to our professionals using the Live Chat (Help box) option given below.