Undoubtedly QuickBooks is one of the greatest accounting software that is designed to meet the modern-day business requirements of different sectors. However, the users face some technical glitches while using the software. Some of the technical bugs can be easily resolved by following some instructions, while other needs proper technical assistance. QuickBooks Unexpected Error 5 is one such technical bug that is often seen when the QuickBooks database user is restricted from using a particular file location. As the user is restricted from accessing the company file, it will adversely impact the business.
One-Stop Solution for QuickBooks Unexpected Error 5. Call Our Experts Today @ +1-855-701-2729.
If you, too, are facing the unexpected error 5 in QuickBooks and are looking for methods to resolve the issue, then this blog is for you. This blog summarizes the various factors that trigger the error and the methods to resolve QuickBooks Unexpected Error 5. But, before proceeding to the technical aspect, let us first understand what QuickBooks Unexpected Error 5 means.
What is QuickBooks Unexpected Error 5?
This error usually occurs when the user tries to save a particular company file, and the software has experienced a severe application issue. It means that you do not have enough permission to access the company file of the particular location. The error indicates that the application has faced a fatal problem.
When the user gets the Unexpected Error 5, the message flashes on the screen “QuickBooks Unexpected Error 5: got unexpected error 5 in a call to netsharegetinfo for path\\server\\file.QBW.” The error occurs due to invalid entries in Windows, and the system does not configure as per the requirements.
Read Also: How to Troubleshoot QuickBooks Error 1706
What Causes QuickBooks Unexpected Error 5?
There are various reasons that can trigger the QuickBooks unexpected error 5. Here, we have summarized some of the prominent factors that trigger the error. The below cited reasons can cause errors to occur:
- The incorrect installation of the QuickBooks version.
- The system file or the registry entry gets deleted.
- The limited access rights of users.
- Some of the window’s important components are missing.
- The location of the updated POS is invalid or incorrect.
- The system has an improper shut down.
- If the system gets infected by some virus or malware.
- The internet connection is weak or damaged.
- You are using the outdated version of QuickBooks.
How to Fix QuickBooks unexpected Error 5?
No doubt, QuickBooks unexpected error 5 occurs unexpectedly, but it can be simply resolved by following some instructions carefully. But, before starting the troubleshooting methods, it is advisable to find out the root cause of the problem. Once you know the root cause of the problem, there is no need to follow the hit-and-trial elimination method. The above-cited causes will help you in finding the right root cause of the problem.
We have accumulated some of the best, tested, and easy solutions to troubleshoot the unexpected error 5 in QuickBooks.
Method 1: Delete and Recreate the User
You can resolve the issue by deleting a particular user and recreating it. This method resets all the settings or any other changes. To do the same, follow the below-mentioned methods:
Delete the user account
- Open the QuickBooks and go to the company section.
- Click on Users, followed by Set up Users and Roles.
- In the list of users, choose the particular user you want to delete.
- Click on the delete button to confirm the deletion procedure.
Recreate the user
- Open the QuickBooks and again go to the company section.
- Now, click on the users, followed by the users and roles.
- Choose the option “add a new user”. Create the new user. Set the new username and password.
- Once the new user account is created, assign the roles and responsibilities to the new users.
- Tap on the “OK” button in order to implement the changes.
Method 2: Provide Access to File Share
You can resolve the issue by providing access to a particular file. In order to do the same, follow the below-cited steps.
- Open the Internet Explorer. Next, you have to locate the folder having the company file.
- Right-click on the folder and navigate to the properties.
- In the properties, go to the sharing tab option and select the most suitable option out of the two options.
- Click on Apply option.
- To implement the changes, click on the “OK” button.
Method 3: Update the QuickBooks Point of Sales
You can resolve the issue by upgrading the point of sale. To update the outdated version of QuickBooks point of sales to the latest version, follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Login in POS as an administrator.
- Go to the help menu and select the software update option.
- Pick the correct update preferences.
- Go to the general tab, and choose the automatic download updates option.
- Click on the “OK” button to apply the changes.
Method 4: Download and Install QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
The QuickBooks File doctor will identify the damage and will rectify the problem automatically. In order to run the file doctor, you need to install it first. Follow the below-cited steps to do the same.
- Download the QuickBooks File Doctor from QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Once downloaded, click on the file doctor and follow the on-screen instructions to install the application.
- Open the application after the installation, and navigate to the company file issues.
- “Run QuickBooks File Doctor option must be picked.”
- Press “OK” to continue.
- The tool will automatically scan and repair the damage.
Note: This procedure will take time, and please do not interfere in the middle of the procedure.
Method 5: Install QuickBooks Again
If you have tried all methods and nothing works, then you can choose to install QuickBooks again. In order to do the same, open the run window and type .aapwiz.cpl. Once it is found, double-click on it and remove the complete folder from your device. To install the QuickBooks again, you need to first install it on your device. Go to the QuickBooks original website and download the QuickBooks desktop application. Before downloading, please make sure that you have chosen the right version. In order to install the application, unzip the folder and locate the install folder, and double-click on the setup.exe file to install the application.
Method 6: Close User Account Control Via Windows
To turn off the user account control in Windows, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Press the window + R key on the keyboard to open the run window.
- Type Control Panel in the search bar and press enter.
- The control panel of the windows is opened. In the control panel, click on the user’s account option.
- In the user’s account, select change user account control settings.
- Click on Yes and move the slider to the Never Notify option.
- Press the “OK” button.
- Reboot the system.
Note: Once the error is resolved, make sure to turn on the UAC.
Method 7: Recreate the Particular User File
You can recreate the particular file again to resolve the issue. In order to do the same, go through the below-mentioned steps:
- Open the QuickBooks and navigate to the particular company tab.
- Choose the users and set up the user’s roles and responsibilities.
- Find the error that is causing trouble to users in the user lists and remove it.
- Find the New Account option and add new accounts.
- Give the user name and password as required and assign the roles.
- Press the “OK” option to create a new user.
QuickBooks Unexpected Error 5 is an unexpected error that frustrates users when it occurs in QuickBooks. However, it can be easily resolved by following some of the simple yet effective methods. Here, in this blog, we have tried to summarize the step-by-step procedure to resolve QuickBooks Unexpected Error 5. We hope that this blog helps you in fixing your issue.
If you are looking for more such informative blogs, read our other blogs on QuickBooks. Stay connected, stay updated.