QuickBooks is an accounting and financing software that has made the entire process easy for people all across the world. You can use this single-handedly on the single-user mode or can work with your team on the same company file through the multi-user mode. If you are operating this as a group, then you can very easily install QuickBooks Desktop on two computers and make your work more efficient.
This blog is for the people who want to avail of this service and hence are looking for ways to get this going. Here, you will find a step-by-step guide that you can follow and get the software on multiple computers. Let’s see how it is done.
Go ahead and keep reading to understand each step in detail.
Step 1: Installing QuickBooks Desktop On Two Computers
To use QuickBooks on two computers, first, you need to install the software in all the systems. Here is how you can do it:
• First, download QuickBooks to your server on both desktops.
• Next, head to Custom and Network Install.
• Furthermore, select, I’ll be using QuickBooks Desktop on this computer.’
• Next, follow all the instructions provided on the screen and hit Install to complete the process.
Step 2: Put QuickBooks File On Mapped Network Drive
Now, if you are using either Windows 8 or Windows 10, then you need to follow these steps mentioned below to save your installed file on a mapped network drive.
• Go to the Start menu and search for the file.
• Next, go to Map a Network Drive from the computer tab.
• Moving ahead, go to any unused drive and choose the browser you use.
• Now, locate the company file in the network location.
• Remember, if you fail to map a network drive via UNC, try the IP address of your server.
• Finally, hit OK and reopen the file from its new location.
Step 3: Edit Folder Permissions
Once you have mapped your file to a new drive, change its permissions:
• Restart your PC and hit the F8 key from your keyboard.
• This is open up the Advanced Boot Window on your screen.
• Here, select the Safe Mode and click Enter.
Set Up folder and Give Permission to Windows
• Make sure that the permissions are correct.
• Now, open the properties of the company file by right-clicking on the folder.
• Here, click on Advanced available under the Security tab.
• Next, select QBDataServiceUserXX and then hit the Edit tab.
• Make sure that the settings match the list provided below:
1. List Folder/Read Data
2. Read Permissions
3. Traverse Folder/ Execute File
4. Read Attributes
5. Write Attributes
6. Create Folders/Append Data
7. Read Extended Attributes
8. Write extended Attributes
9. Create files/Write Data
If Permissions Are Not Set
• Right-click on the company file folder and click on the Properties option.
• Here, select Security and then Edit.
• Eventually, go to QBDataServiceUserXX and tick-mark Full Control.
• Finally, hit Allow and then OK.
Read Also – How to update QuickBooks to Latest Version
Step 4: Get Database Server Manager
To verify your existing setup, follow these steps:
• In the search bar of your Start menu, look for QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
• Open that and enter the path to your company file in the given space.
• Hit the Scan button available below that and let the system scan the file for you.
• Finally, make sure that the file is not corrupted or damaged.
Step 5: Turn On Multi-User Hosting
Once you install QuickBooks Desktop on two computers, now it’s time to set it up.
• The process involves making sure that you turn on hosting.
• Go to QuickBooks Desktop on your computer.
• Furthermore, click on Files and look for the Utilities option.
• Hit that and go through the drop-down list.
• Here, you will find the Host Multi-User Access option.
• Click on that, and next, you will see a pop-up before you.
• Lastly, hit Yes, and you are good to go.
Step 6: Set Up On Second Computer
Now, to make QuickBooks Desktop work on the second computer, go ahead and follow the below-mentioned steps:
• Firstly, open your second PC and install QuickBooks Desktop.
• Next, go back to your first computer and make sure that you prepare the backup of your company file.
• Furthermore, copy the backup to an external device or a flash drive.
• Connect the same device to your second computer and paste it there.
QuickBooks Desktop lets you work on multiple computers at a time on the same company file. This not only allows you and your team to coordinate better but also results in finishing the task faster. So, if you are also looking for answers to the Question, How to install QuickBooks Desktop on Two computers, then we hope this blog must have been a great help for you.
In case you can’t figure out any steps or are looking for some personal assistance, then you can get in touch with our experts via text or by emailing us at email@example.com. You can simply put in your query and your contact details in the email. Our team will get back to you right after they receive your query.
1. How can I transfer the QuickBooks license to the second computer?
If you want to operate QuickBooks on multiple computers, then it is necessary to transfer the license to another computer.
• Go to QuickBooks on the first computer.
• Click on Utilities and then on Move QuickBooks to another computer.
• Next, select I am ready and create an OTP (One Time Password).
• Now, follow the instructions available on your screen and select the flash drive you want to store the license in.
• Copy the files and then restore them on the second computer.
2. How many users does QuickBooks allow on one computer file?
QuickBooks currently offers many multi-user licenses, such as 1-10 users and up to 30 users. It depends on what license you get for your software. With a 1-10 user license, you can use the software on up to 10 computers. For any more than that, you need to get up to 30 user licenses.
3. Can 10 users operate simultaneously on QuickBooks Desktop Pro?
No, as of now, up to 3 users can work on a single company file. When it comes to QuickBooks Desktop Premium, QuickBooks allows 5 user license.
4. Do I need to update my QuickBooks yearly?
No, you do not need to update your QuickBooks every year. Although, you can use the older version of QuickBooks. However, it is better to upgrade the software every time a new version is introduced for better and smooth functioning.
5. How many licenses do I require to operate QuickBooks Desktop on two computers?
You will need two licenses if you wish to operate QuickBooks Desktop on two computers. This way, either a single user can run the software on two different devices, or two different users can work on it at the same time.
Troubling With Problems While Using QuickBooks? Ask your doubts directly to Our US based QuickBooks experts and get Answers. Contact Us