Home > Blog > How to Resolve QuickBooks Error 6143?
Post by : Admin Category: QuickBooks 12 Sep, 2022 Estimated read time: 05 Min
QuickBooks error 6143 is an error in the program that can prevent you from accessing your data file. A corrupted QuickBooks company file can promote various issues in the program, including this one. There are multiple factors that can promote error 6143 in QuickBooks. To get rid of the error, you need to repair the damaged company file.
Also, you need to override other issues that can possibly cause the error in the program. If you are not aware of the causes and symptoms of the QuickBooks error 6143, this blog will be helpful. Also, it elaborates on the best solutions that can resolve the persisting issue.
Table of Contents
What is QuickBooks Error 6143?
QuickBooks error 6143 can take place when a user tries to open the company file. When the error occurs, it throws an error message on your screen –
We’re sorry, but QuickBooks can’t open your company file.
In addition to this error message, you will also see some suggestions that can help you in the error resolution. However, there are varied factors that evoke the error in the program. You need to suppress them in order to get rid of the QuickBooks error 6143.
Why am I Getting QuickBooks Error Code 6143 On My Screen?
Error code 6143 in QuickBooks mainly occurs due to the below-listed reasons:
• Damaged Windows system files are one of the main reasons behind the error.
• Partial installation or inappropriate deletion of the application or hardware.
• Malicious attacks from viruses or malware are serious threats to your system and the applications installed on it.
• Accidental deletion of the windows system files crucial that are crucial to the program.
• When the required file or information goes missing, QuickBooks error 6143 can crop up.
Symptoms Of QuickBooks Error 6143
Whenever you get an issue in the program, it gives some symptoms. Similarly, you can determine QuickBooks error 6143 by its symptoms as stated below:
• Your machine is not working properly.
• The system crashes every now and then when working on it.
• Issues with the peripherals, such as mouse and keyboards.
• It can disrupt the financial records stored in the company file.
• The error message appears in no time when the error occurs.
How To Fix QuickBooks Company File Error 6143?
The inability to access the company file can cause serious disruption to your workflow. Besides, it kills your time and hampers your peace of mind. Therefore, it is essential to get rid of the error as soon as possible. Try the below-listed solutions to resolve the error:
Solution 1: Run QuickBooks File Doctor Before Moving To The Other Solutions
QuickBooks File Doctor is a powerful utility in the program that can repair common issues related to the company file. To access and run this tool, you need to download QuickBooks Tool Hub. Check the below-given steps:
• Go to Intuit’s official website and then download the latest version of QuickBooks Tool Hub.
• Once done, save the file on your desktop.
• Moving ahead, run the executable file QuickBooksToolHub.exe.
• Thereafter, follow the instructions given to install it and agree to the terms and conditions.
• From within the installed QuickBooks Tool Hub, select Company File Issues.
• After that, run QuickBooks Tool Hub and wait until it resolves the issues related to the company file.
• The time may vary based on the size of your company file.
• Once done, check if the QuickBooks error 6143 is fixed.
Solution 2: Make Sure That There Is No Space In Company File Name
The error can also occur if there is a space in the name of your company file. To check and fix:
• Quit QuickBooks from all workstations and on the server computer as well.
• Now open the QuickBooks installation folder on the server computer, wherein the company file is saved.
• Right-click on the company file and select Rename from the drop-down list.
• Here, you need to ensure that there is no space in the company file name or in the extension.
• Now try to open the company file again and check the status of the QuickBooks error 6143.
Solution 3: Move Company File To The Local Storage
If none of the solutions we have discussed so far bring luck to the troubleshooting, move the company file to the workstation and try to open it. Below are the steps:
• Open the company file from the QuickBooks installation folder located on the server computer.
• Now copy the company file to a USB drive or other removable storage device.
• Now plug in the USB to the device/workstation that is getting the QuickBooks error 6143 while opening the company file.
• Now paste the company file to the workstation and open the QuickBooks application.
• In the end, try to open the company file to its new location.
If you are unable to open your data file, try the next solution.
Method 4: Open the company file locally.
If you are facing an issue due to the company file itself, open the company file locally to fix it. To do so, perform the below-listed steps:
• First things first, you need to open the folder that stores the company file.
• Next, you need to check for the .QBW extension and right-click on it.
• Thereafter, copy the file and paste it onto your Desktop.
• Now try to open the company file from its new location.
• Press the CTRL key and open QuickBooks in the no company open window.
• Finally, open/restore the existing company and terminate all the QuickBooks-related processes.
Solution 5: Close All QuickBooks Processes To Open The Company File
Another way to deal with the QuickBooks company file access error is to close all the QuickBooks-related processes. Check the below-given steps:
• First of all, you need to log in as an administrator.
• Thereafter, you need to press CTRL + Shift + Esc keys together, and it will open the Task Manager.
• Next, you need to choose the users tab to show processes for all users to move ahead.
• Finally, close all the tasks related to QuickBooks by clicking on the End Task option.
Solution 6: Rename Network Data and Transaction Log Files
Network Data file with extension (.ND) and Transaction Log File with extension (.TLG) are the files that are stored in the same folder containing the company file. To fix the error, you need to rename .ND and .TLG files. Below are the steps:
• Open the folder containing the QuickBooks company file to start this procedure.
• Next, you need to locate the file having extension .ND.
• Right-click on the file and select Rename from the drop-down menu.
• Add .OLD at the end of the file name – .ND.OLD.
• Now repeat the same procedure for the file that has .TLG extension.
After renaming these files, try to open the QuickBooks company file.
The solutions described in this post can guide your way through resolving the QuickBooks error 6143. Make sure that the solutions are performed with the utmost care and attention. If you are still struggling in opening the company file, reach out to the QuickBooks experts for prompt resolution of the error. The experts can guide you with step-by-step assistance to fix QuickBooks error 6143.
We are helping your business with everything. Starting from data recovery to manage your loans, we can do much more for you. Rapid Resolved is a renowned firm which dedicatedly delivers its services to its customers to positively improve their work productivity. Our team is fully certified by intuit and authorized to resell and few specific products of intuit company.