Dealing with QuickBooks error 15106? Here’s how to get rid of this annoying technical glitch.
QuickBooks is one of the most trusted accounting applications among business owners, accountants, and CPAs. It offers many powerful features and functions. However, being software, it is not untouched by technical issues. However, every maintenance release resolves the known issues in the software and improves the function of an existing feature.
When updating the application, you can get annoying error codes, such as error code series 15XXX. One such error is QuickBooks error 15106 that can hinder an update process in the application. Read this post until the end to learn the reasons and resolution of QuickBooks error 15106 in QuickBooks.
QuickBooks Error 15106: Description
When updating payroll functions in the QuickBooks software, you can receive any of the following error messages:
QuickBooks Error 15106: The update program cannot be opened.
Error 15106: The update program is damaged.
Payroll is an important function in the program and is essential for the small the mid-sized businesses that work with multiple employees. However, when updating QuickBooks Desktop or when downloading payroll updates, you can get QuickBooks error 15106 on your screen. The error can be resulted due to several factors, and knowing the possible reasons behind these errors can be your first step towards error resolution.
Why Am I Seeing QuickBooks Error 15106?
QuickBooks error 15106 can come into sight due to several possible factors that are mentioned in the below-given list:
- When you are not logged in as a Windows administrator user.
- If your computer’s anti-virus program has blocked the QuickBooks folders.
- The update is not approved according to the User Account Control.
- Partial or damaged installation of the QuickBooks software.
- When the Webroot anti-virus program perceives the QuickBooks install as a potential security threat.
Symptoms of QuickBooks Error 16105
When the error occurs, you may not be able to update the payroll function in the QuickBooks Desktop application. Besides, it can also hamper the performance of your computer, due to which it starts responding sluggishly to the mouse and keyboard inputs. Furthermore, an active program window crashes abruptly, and you will receive an error message with code 15106 that depicts the nature of the error. On getting these symptoms, you need to start working on the troubleshooting steps.
How Can You Get Rid Of QuickBooks Payroll Update Error 15106?
Now that you are fully aware of the error code 15106 in QuickBooks, perform the following solutions to get rid of the mess:
Solution 1: Login Your Computer with An Administrator Account
QuickBooks update error 15106 can sometimes occur due to insufficient permissions. To avoid this, you need to log in to your computer as an administrator. Check below:
- Click the Start button and select Control Panel.
- Alternatively, open the Run box (Windows + R) and type Control Panel in the box.
- Hit Enter.
- Now you have to select the User Accounts and Family Safety and then click User Accounts.
- At this point, click the “Manage another account” option and then enter your admin password when prompted.
Right below the name of the account, you can see its type. If this procedure is not sufficient for the error resolution, try the next one.
Solution 2: Reset Updates in QuickBooks
In the next solution, you have to reset updates in the QuickBooks so that the program downloads an update in an error-free manner:
- Launch QuickBooks to start the troubleshooting procedure.
- Now select Update QuickBooks from under the Help tab.
- Next, you need to select Mark All, located underneath the Options tab.
- Click Save and move to the Update Now tab.
- Checkmark the box for Reset Update now.
- Click the Get Updates button to finish the task and check if you can get an update without facing QuickBooks error 15106.
If the error continues, try the next troubleshooting procedure.
Also Read – QuickBooks Error H505
Solution 3: Repair Damaged QuickBooks Installation
A damaged installation of the program is also one of the main reasons behind the QuickBooks error 15106. To fix:
- Open Run box (Windows + R) and type the command “appwiz.cpl” in it, and then hit Enter.
- When Uninstall or Change a Program window opens, locate and double-click on QuickBooks from the list of the installed programs.
- Select Change/Remove and then click Next to proceed further.
- At this point, you have to make sure that the Repair option is selected, and then you can hit the Next button.
- Moving ahead, click Repair and then fix the damaged installation of QuickBooks.
- If an error message says, “File in use,” select Ignore and proceed further.
- After the completion of the repair process, launch the QuickBooks application.
- When you see “QuickBooks has recently downloaded an update,” select Install Now to finish the task.
The solutions described in this post can be helpful in the resolution of QuickBooks error 15106 when followed correctly. However, if you need any kind of technical assistance, contact our QuickBooks helpline number and discuss your technical unease with our experienced experts. We are just a call away!